The West Foundation has established the following guidelines as to grants made to non-profit 501(c)(3) organizations as follows:
- Grants will be made only to those organizations or causes whose objectives are clearly defined. The recipient of the grant must meet the requirements of, and have been designated tax exempt by Internal Revenue purposes.
- Grants will not be made to political organizations or for political purposes.
- Grants will not be made to churches or organizations having religion as their primary purpose.
- Grants will not be made to undergraduate parochial, private or public schools.
- Grants will be considered for institutions of higher learning.
- Grants will not be made to individuals.
- Grants will not be made to support qualifying projects proposed or supported by veteran's organizations, social organizations or fraternal organizations.
- Grants to a recipient may be changed, withheld or discontinued if the grantee does not use the grant proceeds for the purposes originally expressed to the Foundation.
In addition, the West Foundation has established the following philosophy as to how this foundation will be committed to Manitowoc County.
It is the Foundation's intentions to assist through the financial promotion of humanitarian, educational, charitable, cultural and civic or public purposes.
The Foundation Board has denied requests from applicants geographically remote from the Manitowoc area. The Foundation has also refused numerous requests for financial assistance by individuals.
Grants are not made to support the operating budget of an organization and the Foundation should not be considered a continuing source of annual funding.